Monday, May 23, 2011

Southeast Championship Xterra Pelham

Southeast Champions Xterra Pelham
Last year I ventured down to Pelham, AL to participate in the Xterra Sport series.  The race was pretty top notch, so I had to recruit teammates to go with me the following year and race it.  There are Pros from all around the world that competes for a $1,800 cash prize for 1st place in Male/Female Division.  With little to no persuasion at all, I was able to get my faithful teammate Charles to race the 2011 event.

We left late afternoon Saturday and took the drive down.  As we were discussing the race, I realized I forgot my dang wetsuit.  The water temps were hovering around the threshold to be wetsuit legal or not and I needed it just in case.  Lucky for me we walked up to a board with a “BIG SIGN” saying “No wetsuits, water above 75 degrees.”  This made me feel good since I didn’t want to be the only idiot without a wetsuit.  On the other hand a wetsuit keeps you buoyant and helps you exert less energy when swimming over long distance.

Charles and I arrived pretty early as normal to get ready for our first Xterra race of the year.  We set up our transition and made our way to the swim start.  They had a small cannon that fired off blanks, but it packed a loud bang.  As we took off, I had to take it slow and easy.  Our swim leg was .90 of a mile and I haven’t trained for this is well over 4 months.  I knew if I took it easy and steady I should make it without much pain.  As I began my 2nd loop swim, I was feeling pretty good and heard a familiar name on my heals.  I focused on form and simple swim strokes with sufficient breathing.  The second loop Charles and I pretty much swam stroke for stroke.  We exited the water together, but then he hit the afterburners and took off.  I was thinking, “This guy is on crack!” J 
I beat Charles out of transition, but he hauled tail pass me on the road to the trail.  I wasn’t worried at all, I was glad he passed me, because I know trust his riding style and I preferred to ride his rear wheel when I could rather a stranger.  Also to add not much surprise but we were racing side by side again for the 3rd straight multisport race of the year.  There really isn’t anything better either.  As we rode 90% of the trails together, we shared the brutal 3 mile climb that seriously thought never ended and also the sweet flowing single track.  After some of the downhill bombs, I noticed my shifting wasn’t working as well.  Its seems from all the vibration, my fingers started to go numb.  The trails are very demanding and you must focus the whole time.  If you took the slightest break, it could have caused you to crash.  Both of us were fortunate not to have any bike failure on this race.  Toward the end of the 20 mile mountain bike ride, I got stuck behind 3 riders.  Charles was able to break free earlier and got a lead on me.  He entered transition about 30 seconds ahead, and I knew we were about to enter in his strong sport “Hill Running.”
As I started to run, I knew an even pace over the 10k trail was my best approach.  I started getting a small cramp during the swim, and my legs were tired from the mountain bike terrain, and on top of all of it I seriously needed more fuel. (GU’s, water, Gatorade, cheeto’s, taco, whatever FOOD).  Xterra had all the water stops at the perfect location for me.  However the 2nd stop was a little tricky.  I was trying to juggle two water cups and a Gatorade running.  As I was doing so, I kicked a root and busted so hard on the ground.  I had no time to catch myself at all and dropped all my fuel.  I was frustrated but glad I didn’t feel any pain from it.  I got up and proceed on.  Mile 3 was a booger too.  It housed one of the toughest climbs on the 10k course.  I decided to conserve energy and walk up this incline.  I say it helped but really have no idea.  All I know is I had nothing left when I finished and couldn’t think of anything better than sitting under the rain tent they had setup.  My total time was 3hr 33mins and 20sec.  I was 4th in my age group.  3rd was 10mins ahead and 5th was 20 mins behind me.  I must get faster at swimming and need to improve my trail running.

Our end of race tradition normally involves with us stopping by sonic and getting the biggest greasiest hamburger, fries and a large milkshake.  Well little did I know the love of “WHATABURGER” Charles had?  J  We made a slight change of plans and chow down on a Whataburger burger and fries.

It was much worth it and so filling, until I got home and also ate half a Papa john’s pizza J  Racing is so much fun and racing with teammates is so much better.  I’m hoping we have more JMR out there next year.  Charles and I already have a few in mind and we will begin working on soon.
I must also add, on our way home we stopped at this gas station (Was) to view a neighborhood that got totally destroyed by the tornado damage 3 weeks prior.  The site itself will take your breath away and I couldn’t imagine the pain those families are going thru.  As I write this, our very own Joplin, MO location also got a mean storm which leveled the whole city.  Many of my co workers up there have lost their homes, but we are fortunate of no deaths to hear of yet.  My prayers go out to them.



Until next time JOURNEY ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment